Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Getting through the day...

Lately it's been hard to find a quiet time, that hour or so when, during Lent especially, we can slow ourselves down and at least try to hear the Voice. For me, and I'm sure for many who work long hours during the week quality reflective time is almost non-existent. At night, after supper, shower, Evening Prayer, with the idea to calm down and try to let Our Lord in, to speak with Him, to pray, unfortunately most of the time in less than ten minutes I'm asleep wherever I am. How bad! We have a friend who's retired, a single man, who is always going on retreats because he can't even find quiet, meditative time. And during work, I find myself forgetting about Our Lord. The events of the day become too important (not really, but they trick me!) and that makes me sad. So I try very hard to keep Him in front of me, constantly in some sort of prayer, either to Our Lord, or the Blessed Virgin or Our God Himself. it's the only way I can get through the day.

1 comment:

puzzled said...

How very true for all of us this post is. I too am retired but sometimes I am so busy I wonder how I ever found time to work! It is a real effort to find some quiet time but one advantage of being retired is that I am able to go once a week to our parish church and spend time before the Blessed Sacrament, just Jesus and me. That is an oasis in an otherwise sketchy week of prayer time. That weekly hour of Adoratin is my anchor and I selfishly guard it from any intrusion. Thanks for a very nice post and an interesting blog site.