Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Francis, be with me.

Tonight is our Secular Franciscan monthly meeting and I'm not looking forward to it. I'm going to bring up the matter of having a food table set up in the middle of the church after our St. Clare/Evening Prayer last Wednesday night. I know me voicing my opinion on this will rub some the wrong way. We have a couple of headstrong people in our group who, granted, are on the Council of our Fraternity and they don't have to ask us (I guess) for permission to do these sort of things. They probably had permission from our Pastor. I don't care. You'll never convince me that it's ok to have a snack table set up in the middle of the church, no matter what is going on. I wish I didn't have to bring this up at all for the fact that I have a somewhat hot temper and my emotions usually end up taking over. I don't want to turn this into an argument between Brother and Sister, etc, but I'm afraid that it will. But I can't remain silent on this. If we allow these things to go on, where will it stop? Coffee and donuts in the church after Mass on Sunday? I know Helen wanted to say something but if she says anything I'm afraid that the people whose idea this was will tear her apart. I (and others) have a feeling that Helen's religious leanings are a little too far out there for them. Wear a mantia to church, hold a rosary during Mass? No, I won't let them go after her. I have broad shoulders, broad enough to carry another cross if I have to.


If anyone disagrees with me, please let me know. I've prayed about the event in the church and my response since it took place, knowing I must speak up. To me it's a no-brainer. At times the world (my Parish!) gets so far away from the message of Christ I (and Helen) can only walk away. Fast.


Francis, be at my side tonight


as I speak to our Brothers and Sisters.


Help spread the feeling of love


that you felt for Our Lord,


the reverence you found in your heart,


for the spiritual home here on earth


for our God.

5 comments:

Daily Grace said...

Ephesians 4:15 comes to mind, speaking the truth in LOVE.

Personally, I can understand a parent, or one responsible for a young child, giving that little one food or drink to help keep them content and quiet in church. I do feel adults can wait until they are outside of church before they snack.

May Francis intercede for you.

kam said...

Thanks, D.G.

Anne said...

My prayers for you and Helen. I've had lots of difficulty at my parish too, mainly with the pastor, and I know how hard it is to speak up when you see something that is just glaringly wrong. I admire your courage and I applaud you for doing the right thing. Helen is blessed to have such a wonderful husband who will always stand up for her and God is blessed to have such a wonderful follower who will stand up for Him. Please keep us posted on how this all comes out.

kam said...

Will do. Thanks for the kind words.

Do Not Be Anxious said...

I wish I had read this sooner. I pray things went well.
I guess we've all wrestled with the priest who thought that this was "his" church, and so did things his way. Period. I usually thought of myself bearing up under the scandalous behaviors as being the "yeast" in the parish -- some good may come of my being there and speaking up. Unfortunately, often the best that happened was that I got a "polite" no from the pastor, vs a curt no. From outrageous design of new churches (which I helped pay for!) to "inclusive" masses, I bore up with much, and found comfort and comforted others in the parishes. It was only after the last pastor decided confession was not needed before First Communion that I seriously started searching for a parish which would nourish me. I found one 20 minutes away, and have been extremely happy for the past 10 years -- even as some of my former parishes are now coming around, with new pastors.