Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday Fast

The best fast is on bread and water. Through fasting and prayer, one can stop wars, one can suspend the laws of nature. Charity cannot replace fasting. Those who are not able to fast can sometimes replace it with prayer, works of love, and confession; but everyone, except the sick, must fast. - BVM 7/21/82

The intersession of Our Mother and the gifts from Our God are amazing; I was reminded of that today. As I was sitting at my desk at work this morning (5:45, yikes!) with my coffee (yes, coffee), I heated up a small roll H had bought for today, a fast day for us. Before I ate it, in my prayer I asked God to help me get through this day without too many stumbles in my fasting, to keep me strong and not weak minded, to just keep an eye on me. I'm not good at fasting. H can get by with water and well, usually just that until supper, when the menu usually is pizza dough with a little grated cheese on it. Me, I sort of cheat with crackers, maybe a pretzel or two, and really, too much bread. But my mind never really feels right, I'm more concerned with what I don't have than the gifts I do have. So, for me, it's a constant uneasy go of it, even with much prayer.
At 8:00am we have a break for breakfast and that's when I do my morning reading from MEDJUGOREJE DAY BY DAY by Richard Beyer. And there, just for me (so I think!) was today's message from Our Blessed Mother. In my heart, I felt a joy, almost a jolt of sorts, as I read the words. This is my second time through this book, which I read every morning, and I've heard the BVM speak of fasting many times, but today she made Herself known to me in this sweet small way. "I'm with you, we'll get through this day together," is what I felt after reflection on the message. I need that today, more than I usually do. There have been issues with family members and close friends that have been weighing on H and myself this week or so and it seems that with every step forward in dealing with these arising's everyone takes two steps back. A quiet weekend lies ahead, and I hope a time for prayer and reflection.
My day is not over yet, and the end of the month work hysteria that accompanies it has arrived and 4:30 is looking better and better. Holy Hour from 6-7 tonight is a blessing in itself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank-you so much Kam for these wise words! Be assured of my daily prayer for you and everyone in your life.

Fr. Joseph

Daily Grace said...

Kam,
I stuggle so much with fasting. I try, but man it is so hard for me. When my husband does it with me I am stronger, but to be honest it is probably because I don't want to be the one who didn't make it through the day when he did..Wow, did I just say that!!
I still ask the BVM to help me, one day I'll get it right!

I will pray for your family and friends that you mentioned. God bless

kam said...

Daily Grace - I've been reading bits and pieces from St. Benedict, actually just a small pamphlet that appeared in our church, called 'Living Simply, Notes from a Monastery, The Sacred Way Every Day.' The Rule of St. Benedict speaks of five supporting practices from St. B's Rule: Moderation, Balance and Flexibility, Attending to the Present Moment, Generosity of Spirit, and Time with God. My wife and I are Secular Franciscans and we've immersed ourselves in Franciscanism for the last few years and are true followers of the Saint, but the Rules of St. Benedict really speak to me on a very deep level. At times with our Secular Brothers and Sisters Franciscanism is only a spirit of Franciscanism, which for some may be ok. Lately though, I've been called (for lack of a better explanation), to take my spiritual life deeper, and to be not lukwarm. Through prayer I've found that to go deeper may mean to first put everything into God's Hands, and for me that leads me straight to our Intersessor, the Blessed Virgin Mary. During prayer I find that in my minds eye she is there, off on the side, and then when I notice Her she fills that inner eye, that spiritual mind of mine and everything changes inside. I find a bit of inner peace, and with that comes the strength to fast. I find, and I'm being forward, excuse me, but you've got to put it all on the line, give it all over to Her, to Jesus and Our Father. It is not easy. For a long time I thought I was giving it all, this was it, I'm making progress. And I guess I was, in a way. But once I realized that one of the real keys (for me), was a constant internal conversation with whomever, and thus a different change begins. Geez, did I really go on so long? Did any of that make any sense? I think what I'm trying to say is pray to Our Blessed Mother for strength and you will receive it. Keep fasting, and it is great to be fasting with someone, especially a spouse. Truly two will become one. k

Daily Grace said...

Thank you for being so honest with your thoughts. I appreciate your comments...they challenge me...go deeper.

Also, I will see if I can Google " Living Simply,....."

God bless you and yours