Thursday, October 29, 2009

Forgiveness

I've been quiet this week, trying to absorb and let blow over an event that took place last Friday. Sometimes human nature can really throw you for a loop. I hate to use more cliches' but just when you think you know someone...
All it was was a small minor incident of misunderstanding, which turned into someone storming out of an event where we Secular Franciscans were helping together. A soup kitchen, of all things. I'm not going to go into details, but someone didn't like being told how to do a certain job and instead of working out the disagreement, that person just stormed out over how to stack bread...
It seemed like a rough week everywhere, at work and in our parish. Everyone on edge. At times like these I have to remember and keep in mind that Satan loves to start things and then get in the middle of them. We know he likes nothing better than to see husband and wife, children and parents, friend and friend going at it. That seemed to be the theme last week. And some people don't realize when they're hurting someone. To walk out of a soup kitchen over bread, when your in the wrong, really upsets people, which I personally witnessed. I had to watch myself. I've been known to let folk have it when innocent people get trod on. All we can do in times like that is soldier on and pray, pray, pray. At our Secular Franciscan monthly meeting on Tuesday, the issue was brought up, but in a general way, nothing serious was touched upon. Everything just blows over and lets make nice. And how ironic; the theme of our meeting was forgiveness! I didn't say much, mostly because some of the older members really had excellent insights into our discussion and I basically had nothing to add. But I thought afterward, doesn't apologizing go along with forgiveness? If your wrong and hurt someone, do you wait for unwarranted forgiveness or do you apologize?

Like I said, I better keep my mouth shut.

4 comments:

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

I think in these cases we can only look to our own behavior. Apologizing would be nice behavior from the other person, but I don't think forgiveness from us depends upon what the other person does. I think it has to be unconditional. God does not put conditions on His willingness to forgive us -- and are we not supposed to pass along that deep love, which takes no offense and brings a peace that passes understanding?

kam said...

You are completly correct, and I almost pulled this post in, but I needed some sort of feedback on my thoughts and actions. I admit that a part of me is still stuck at a point of forgiveness that I know can only be reached thru prayer. But that's no excuse for anything. My biggest problem is when confronted with these events, these 'confrontations', I fail. I only rise to the occasion, have the heart of Jesus some of the time, and that makes me angry and sad. It's always back to basics with me.

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

You know, I think that happens to all of us. I think it must be part of being human. We can aim for perfection, but I don't know any human who ever reaches it. God bless!

Do Not Be Anxious said...

I've thought and written a lot about forgiveness too. In general, I found comfort in Mt 5:23 and Mt 18:15. Between the two of them they say that if you have something against your brother, OR if your brother has something against you --- in either case -- YOU go to be reconciled with your brother, even before you go to church. This initially turns some people off: why do I have to go if they're at fault? But the Bible applies to them too: both of you should seek reconciliation, and sort of meet in the middle.
I use these two quotes on the people who come to the door reading the Bible and handing you stuff, but refuse to let you hand them anything or explain your faith. I ask if they believe the bible and live it, then point to the Mt quotes and say: Well, we are disagreeing, don't you agree we BOTH should reconcile, seeing each other's viewpoints? They then usually quickly leave.