Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Faith

Our dog died, back on January 10. We didn't tell that many people but with the internet, word gets around and condolences were given and received. 
Sixteen years.
Sixteen years we had that girl, that's a lot of years of one's life, all of her life, really, and when that person, or dog, that love of ones' life is gone, that's a big hole, a hole that will never be filled.
One starts to think about mortality, our own and others. 

I will miss her, that little nipper. Her name was Faith, and we buried her in the semi-frozen ground out back by the garden. I can see her make-shift headstone that Helen stuck in the ground from my rocker in the kitchen. I still get choked up every time I gaze upon it. 

And that's how it should be, at least for me. 

In a small way she reminds me of my humanity, about unconditional love with no strings attached. If I could love the world half as much as she loved me, I would be a much better man. 

Goodbye again, Faith. I'm hoping God has a special place for our close animal friends that we had here on earth, and perhaps once again I can clip on her leash and take her for another walk around the yard, like we did, every morning.

1 comment:

Connecticut Catholic Corner said...

So sorry for the loss of your dear pet. I know that loss and the void in the house when they are gone.