Friday, April 11, 2014

...a reflection...

This past week my wife has been away on Retreat, so it has been only myself and my son home here.  We've had some good conversations (he's 26) but there has been long periods at night of silence.  And with the silence, if my mind isn't whirring too much from the day in the world, then reflection.  This Lent I've been trying very hard to work on my particular vices that I really need to somewhat eradicate, and I've found that in the quiet at night not only am I able to examine how I've done during the day (usually badly) but the temptations that I'm working on come at me full force during these times.  These vices have always been very sinister and silent, and I've never been able to get a handle on them for very long.  I've found myself falling into their traps day in and day out, year after year.  Most of the time I only realize that I've fallen victim after the fact.  During this Lent, though, God has given me extra strength, it seems, to hold off the initial onslaught at least, which gives me a bit of time to think about what is happening to me; namely one assault after another by the enemy.  It is as plain as day.  The reading and re-reading of Spiritual Combat has sunk in a little and the incessant homilies on good and evil by good Latin Mass priests have left their mark.  A baby step in fighting the snares of the devil.  Thank you Almighty Father for the preparation, praise to You, Lord Jesus for opening up the way and stay by my side Blessed Mother, for you are our defense here on Earth.

2 comments:

Do Not Be Anxious said...

At differing points of my life, I struggled and wanted to change. Two things which worked for me were: 1)An alarm which alerted me each hour, at which point I said a short prayer for patience. After a few months, others noticed a change in me. 2)A commitment each day to pray the Prayer for Humility --- which I hated, and still do to some degree. It's a prayer to accept bad things happening to me, a prayer to crush my pride (which I could never admit, because, of course, I am always right.) That one took longer to have any impact, and required more work.

Anonymous said...

Don M says

Happy Easter my friends