Thursday, June 17, 2010

...a deeper faith...

My posts seem to be fewer and far between and to be honest, I don't know if I'll be able to continue to find the words to express this inner journey. On top of that each post I write takes me hours to finish, and right now at this stage of my life I just don't feel I have the time to compose a quality post.

But I like posting.

I like posting and it also helps to hear the different views that we have concerning our own personal journeys and others. In a world that's growing darker, it's good to see light shining, however dimly. And the darkness comes from the countless souls who are turning away from God. Never mind all those that never acknowledged his voice to begin with. I'm concerned, but what can I, or any of us do, really? We can give a good example, be true witnesses to the faith, and pray.
But to be true witnesses, how hard is that? At times for me almost impossible. I always feel I'm a good witness in my mind, but as soon as I'm in disagreement with someone or something I forget who I am and fall away to my old ways. I forget I'm Franciscan! I'm more concerned with the log in my neighbors eye than the wooden beam in mine. Today's Gospel. To maintain the Face of Jesus to all, to avoid the 'forked tongue', these are aspects of my life that challenge me every day, and I mean really challenge me. And I know why. We can do nothing without God. We cannot do anything alone. I haven't given myself up to Him completely, yet. How can I do it? Why do I hold on to control, onto my way of thinking, onto my worries about money or work or whatever? Why? Because I'm holding onto this world, that's why, and my mind isn't focused enough on the world above.
Matthew 6:24-34. "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear." That is pretty radical stuff. But what is He asking us? What is God asking us? He's asking us for everything. To give up our cares to Him. To trust Him. To have deep faith. How can I give of myself so completely and still maintain the responsibilities of a father, a husband, a provider? I must find the deep faith. Oh Lord God, why do you ask of things I have no answer for? How can I follow you fully when I fling my own wall before You? Please, O God my God grant me the grace to tear down those walls, tear them down and never build again. My Lord and God, I pray to You.

4 comments:

Daily Grace said...

A deeper faith is what we are called to. It is never easy, it is a continuous struggled every single day. I struggle, you struggle, and everybody does.
Never stop posting as long as you are able, as long as you are called to post. Remember St.Therese , the little flower, she lived each day with an unshakable confidence in God's love. She said,” What matters in life, "is not great deeds, but great love." The world today needs to be reminded of great love. We are salt, even with our infirmities we cannot lose our flavor. Francis forged on in spite of his trials. These trials made him stronger in faith, a faith that most of us wish we had.
You and your wife are great examples to us all. Hey, your posts encouraged my fasting and the time I spend before the Blessed Sacrament. I went again today and I thank you and yours for the encouragement and example that I read here.

You are right; we can do nothing without God. We cannot do anything alone.

Many people look for the faith they see in others, some people are alone and find this faith in reading these personal writings of others that struggle just like they do.

I have read much about Blessed JPII and he encouraged faith sharing by means of the web, he looked toward the future of how things were going. I always think of this when my mind is empty and I can’t think of anything that might be worth sharing.

As far as control, we all struggle with that! God knows us better than we know ourselves. Trust is the answer; it is something that grows stronger everyday with prayer and fasting.

Your post and your faith are an inspiration. God be with you always.

Sorry for going on so long.

kam said...

Thanks for going long, DG.

Do Not Be Anxious said...

KAM, I don't know if you know of or have read of a woman called: Anne, a Lay Apostle. She has written a number of books about messages she claims come from Jesus -- she has the approval of her local bishop to publish these.
Now I don't know about where these messages really come from, but what I have read sure sound as the type of words that Jesus would say. In addition, I have read of many people who have publically witnessed how the messages helped to focus and change their lives. I have read all her books (I AM a reader), and she has 10 small books which group the messages. Books I and II are most often commented on as helping people live their lives in a holy way, right in the place where they are. They seem to find a new and deeper faith, and better understand the importance of their present witness.
Perhaps you might like to read these -- although I offer you all the caveats you might expect to hear.

kam said...

D.N.B.A. - Thanks for your comments, always appreciated. My wife has read most of her books, and I believe she's reading one right now, but H and I have a habit of not reading one book at a time but 5, 6, or more. (A bad habit, I know!) I started reading one of them and right now it's on my night stand, buried. I will get back to it. Helen and I were even thinking of traveling out to Franciscan University to hear her speak last year but we decided against it. (Our son Odin went to Fran. U., so we know the way well.) I consider myself a late blooming true Catholic, even though I've been one my whole life. It's only been the last five years or so that I've finally listened to Him. I am a reader also, and people are always funneling my this book or that one, plus the ones that are on my 'have to read now' list. Bad practise to have that kind of list. Thanks for reminding me of Anne, I will uncover her tonight, put her near the top. Peace! k